Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Drink in my Hand

I know it's been some time since I posted last, but things have been interesting lately. I started my classes at IPFW and am making the transition to the mindset of living at home instead of in a dorm. I an currently down in Knoxville visiting friends before my schedule becomes hectic and prevents me from making the trip. On the way down I was listening to The Classic Crime and their song Drink in my Hand came up. It really got me thinking deep about an issue that I have in my spiritual life from time to time. I'll try my best to describe the feeling. Imagine being worn out on a hot summer day, nothing could be more refreshing than a cool drink. The more you think about it, the more you desire it. Now imagine that someone gives you a glass of ice water, condensation sweating down the side, but instead of taking a drink, you just stand there holding on to the glass. I feel this deep thirst, a thirst to know God and to grow close to him, to honor him with every day he gives to me. I know that I have been gifted salvation, I know that Christ died on that cross for my sins, and I know that I do not deserve it. But I feel as though, instead of quenching that thirst that I have and drinking God in, I simply hold the sweating, cold glass in my hand.
This troubles me greatly and causes a few different lines of thought:
1) Who in the world do I think that I am? Who am I to deny God a complete entrance into my life and joyfully welcome him?
2) How much time have I wasted?
3) What steps do I take so that I can constantly drink God in?
I'm not exactly sure each and every step to take, but I am working on. I have found a wonderful church and I am considering making it my church home. This church is incredibly encouraging, and I feel God working through its members. I'm not positive where I will be in the future, but I know that I do not want to find myself simply holding on that glass, I want to know that I have filled myself up with God and that I have brought glory to him through the way that I live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment